The Indian Kamasutra states that before sex you should eat a meal of rice. The French King, Henry IV, drank a shot of cognac with egg yolk every morning to increase his “man powers”. To increase potency, Italians ate chili peppers, chocolate, caviar and oysters. These are just a few examples of how throughout history, there have been hundreds of foods & drinks that were believed to have special abilities for making men (and women) more “powerful” in bed.
Still to this day, men are always looking for natural ways to increase their potency. Sometimes, to enjoy sexual contact at its peak you have to restore the mental balance, get rid of the stress and produce some endorphin’s in the gym. However, you can also increase or awaken your desire, sexuality, sexual attraction and sex drive by eating certain foods known as aphrodisiacs.
From a scientific standpoint, many historically “powerful” aphrodisiacs may have had such strong results due to mere belief or their powers by users. While nowadays, because of science, many foods are considered to be helpful in your sex life because of the nutrients, vitamins and minerals which they contain. They improve your mental and physical health and can also help boost your testosterone levels.
Having a healthy body and mind will allow you to regain your lost interest in sex and strengthen your ability to perform. Here is a list of 24 of these natural aphrodisiacs for men,which will increase your sexual health and potency.
1) Almonds – This king of nuts has a great amount of vitamin B2, protein, vitamin E and calcium. Indians, Arabs and Chinese have eaten almonds for centuries to increase their sexual powers.
Ayurveda, the traditional Indian medicine, even notes that almonds are a great food for brain activity and help to awaken sexual desire. Plus Tim Ferris states in his book “The Four Hour Body” that he used almonds as a supercharger to boost his libido and sperm count around 4 hours before sex. This is a real good place to start when it comes to aphrodisiacs.
2) Marzipan – This almond paste is a common gourmet dessert which helps to increase sexual desire. As we spoke about above, almonds are a killer aphrodisiac, and enjoying the paste as a desert is a nice way to end the night with your lady. Almonds are grown in the East, Italy, Spain and California – where they have the same reputation as a delicious, nutrient-dense food.
3) Honey or the food of the gods, is a sweet elixir produced by bees from pollen. There are thousands of aromas of honey which all depend on the flowers from which the bees gathered nectar. All of these scents are unique; from heavy, deep chestnut honey flavor to a light lavender and wild thyme smell. Along side the aromas, honey is especially appreciated for the effects on ones sexual life. It is one of the best re-generators of sexual energy. Together with nuts, fruits, eggs and meat it creates some of the best “turn-on” dishes. Avoid heated or filtered honey and instead opt for natural & raw honey, which has all the powers and aromas you need.
4) Artichoke – The mysterious hearts of artichokes are great aphrodisiacs, especially valued by the French. They believe that artichokes “warm up” the genitals. An artichoke stuffed with marinated shrimp is an extremely sensual dish, providing an unforgettable experience. (These are the things that will impress any lady.)
5) Asparagus is a time tested drug for prostate diseases. Even its shape recalls the form of phallus. It is also rich in asparagine – a widely known diuretic, which increases urinary activity. Since asparagus is rich in vitamin A, phosphorus, calcium and potassium, it is officially classified as a booster of sexual desire. To get the most benefit, you should eat young shoots which are cut in spring. They have a mild taste, just do not cook them long.
6) Avocado – The name was given by the Aztecs, literally meaning testicles. This is due to the form of the fruit hanging on a tree resembling the male testicles. Other than looking like a mans set, avocado is a very nutritious fruit rich in protein, vitamin A, potassium and non-essential fatty acids. These fatty acids will help your body produce testosterone, while the combination of all the nutrients provides a strong sexual boost. This sexual boost has been known and used for years.
7) Banana, the hero of many jokes (because of its phallus form), is also a great booster of that male sex organ. Bananas are a great natural aphrodisiac which are rich in potassium and natural sugars. Indian traditional medicine actually classifies banana’s as a “turn-on” food. A great recipe to spice them up a little bit is to take a bit of curry and butter and pour it over a banana. Sprinkle on some walnuts and your good to go. Otherwise, you can just grab one for breakfast and it will give you a good sexual appetite throughout the day.
8) Flower pollen; its more than just food. It has an incredible amount of nutrients including amino acids, vitamins, minerals and superoxide dismutase, which has been shown to slow down aging. While athletes from around the world use the flower pollen to enhance strength and endurance, it is also shown to be one of the most effective passion boosting products.
9) Coconut – Coconut has fantastic effects on the body. Indians say that coconuts increase the amount of sperm and cleanse the urinary bladder while eastern doctors recommend a coconut diet for tiring chronic diseases which take away all your energy. Combining coconut milk with honey is a nutritious drink, improving digestion and increases sexual appetite. Another great breakfast/anytime recipe is pineapple juice, fresh papaya and grated fresh coconut mixed into a drink. It is rejuvenating and refreshing, refilling enzyme reserves and stimulating sexual desire.
10) Dates, the sweetest fruit on earth. They grow in Africa, Central Asia, and Southern California. Dates are the staple diet of many tropical and desert regions. According to Ayurveda, dates purify the blood and increase the amount of semen in men. The sugar from dates also gives enough energy for long, passionate sex. Because of this, dates are considered a “sexual” food. An easy recipe is to take finely chopped, crushed dates, rolled in shredded coconut and fill them with blanched almonds. That’s a triple threat sexual booster.
11) Eggs, the gift full of protein, has been considered as a sexual stimulant throughout the ages. So much so, that Casanova ate them before every love adventure. Sheikh Nafzajus, the author of “Perfume Garden” recommended eating as many eggs as possible. (Don’t overdo it!) Eggs fried in butter, in his opinion, give “fuel” for an endless love marathon. Scientifically this is because of the great boost in testosterone that is provided by the good cholesterol that the eggs and butter provide. For a sensual desert to get any woman in the mood, try some eggnog (egg mixed with milk, cream, honey, vanilla and nutmeg). This, and starting your day off with a few eggs, is a sure fire way to keep your sexual energy at its peak.
12) Garlic – That smell? Yes. Especially since the smell garlic is considered to be one of the “turn-ons”. Garlic helps to regulate the blood flow in your body, especially in your pelvic area. It is also widely used in Eastern and Indian medicine because of its natural antibiotic properties & is an irreplaceable tool in Italian cuisine (have you ever heard that Italians are very good lovers?). If you want to eat a bit of garlic before the night, the only thing you have to remember is to give a piece to your partner. Thus both of you will have the same breath ; ). In Eastern tradition, a good dish before the night is some garlic, fried in butter with eggs. You get the same benefits of eggs listed above plus a kick from the garlic. Go get em.
13) Mango – If you could call any fruit “divine”, it would be the mango. The Indian health book of Ayurveda describes it as an easily digestible, strength giving and arousing fruit. This sensual fruit can be used as a desert and shared between partners. The mango itself also look like the testicles and this alone stimulates imagination and desire.
14) Mushrooms – Lets just say it. The cap of mushrooms look like the head of penis. This is enough to stimulate desire. But besides this, mushrooms are rich in zinc & it is believed that they are a great source of sexual energy.
15) Lady‘s Fingers (okra) – Originally, African slaves brought okra to New Orleans, where the dishes with it became very popular. They believed that lady‘s fingers lit the fire of passion. While In Indian tradition, okra is recommended as a food that rejuvenates, energizes and turns on sexual desire.
16) Olive oil is the most nutritious and easily digestible oil of all the vegetable oils. Since olive oil is rich in essential fatty acids, the healthy sex organs are supplied with all the nutrients they need, while testosterone production is enhanced. In the morning, Greeks drink a sip of olive oil and eat a big spoon of raw honey (honey again, noticing a trend?) to cleanse the bile duct and strengthen the genitals. Natural olive oil is really one of the most useful products out there.
17) Onion – There are different kinds of onion: red, white, yellow, brown & Spanish. In Eastern tradition onion is considered a diuretic, tonic, stimulant, cleaner of the blood and sexual booster. Onions are widely used in Eastern, Chinese and European cuisine. In these cultures it is believed that onion helps to keep up sexuality.
18) Pistachios – In central Asia and India, it is believed that pistachios arouse sexuality and cleanse the blood. Combine pistachios with honey and expect a nice, refreshed libido.
19) Sesame seeds are very nutritious. and are widely used in the East. Sesame seeds are rich in vitamin E and this may be the reason they are called men‘s food. In India, it is believed that sesame seed actually prolongs life. If you want to increase your sexual activity, you should eat sesame oil with honey or halva; a sweet dish made of grounded sesame and honey, which is worshiped as a sexual stimulant in the East.
20) Wheat grass is rich in vitamin E, and is known as the sex vitamin. If you get it, buy wheat grass in a vacuum pack, otherwise in a day or two it will get a bitter taste.
21) Parsley is used around the world as a desire enhancing foods. Put some fresh herbs in salads or make a juice and drink a couple of teaspoons three times per day to reap these powerful benefits.
22) Mint and peppermint tea – (Half a glass twice a day) provides the benefits of acting as an antiseptic, being anti-inflammatory, strengthening the heart, helping with insomnia, alleviating headaches and acting as an aphrodisiac.
23) Aloe – Also known as the “plant of one hundred years,” the juice from aloe leaves with a spoon of honey (one teaspoon three times per day) will activate your pelvic blood circulation and help you to perform sexually. You can buy liquid aloe vera extract from your local pharmacy & use it with natural and raw honey.
As you can see, there are a lot of traditions in many cultures that worship foods for being natural aphrodisiacs. Some of them are because of tradition, while some of them because of their nutritious values & scientific backing. Try some out and see what works for you.
But most importantly, do not expect all aphrodisiacs to work like magic. The mentioned products can definitely help you to improve your sexual life, and overall they can improve your physical and mental health, but some effects may be very subtle. That being said, some may be very pronounced. But the bottom line is a healthy body and soul means lots of great sex. So have fun.
24) Celery – I know what you’re thinking. Celery is boring, bland & only good for making wings look more appetizing. But celery should become your new best friend.
Celery does amazing things for a man. Its has been proven to increase your semen volume and provide a boost to your sexual potency through its high amounts of vitamin E, magnesium, potassium and zinc. It also contains arginine which increases blood flow to your genitals, resulting in stronger and longer erections.
Also, celery is an abundant source of two pheromones androsterone and adrostenol. These boost your natural pheromones when you eat them, which can then be detected by the sub-conscious of women. Its a scientific fact that pheromones exist, and even though the effects may be subtle, they also may be there.
So next time your at buffalo wild wings don’t forget to scarf down that celery after your done with your wings.
As you can see, there are plenty of aphrodisiacs for you to take advantage of as a man. Cultures around the world have been doing it for centuries and now you can do it right from your own kitchen. So whether your whipping up a nice dish for your lady friend or just trying to get your mojo flowing before a night out, these aphrodisiacs won’t leave you hanging.
Disclaimer: This article does not provide medical aid or nutrition for the purpose of health or disease. If you have serious problems with your libido you should consult a doctor.
Maria Isabella | Menprovement